We really like this idea from RA Sushi: A shrimp salad with watermelon cubes, kiwi slices, tangerine segments, baby arugula leaves and microgreens (you can substitute sprouts or herbs).
RA Sushi serves it as an entrée, with a Watermelon Margarita to wash it down (the Margarita recipe is below). The fruit salad dressing recipes below are theirs.
The natural juices from the fruits provide the “dressing,” but you can create a citrus vinaigrette, a honey vinaigrette, or simply toss with a bit of extra virgin olive oil and fresh lime juice (with salt and pepper to taste).
Grilling the shrimp adds another flavor dimension, but boiled shrimp work as well. You can substitute crab, lobster, scallops, seared/grilled fish cubes or for vegetarians, grilled tofu.
The fruit salad has a counterpoint of spicy greens (baby arugula, for example), but you can also add a base of lettuce if you’d like more roughage, and you can add heat as well. Use the recipe template below to customize your ideal salad. Aim to use three different fruits of varying colors, to add interest to the dish. Tropical fruits work very well with seafood.
RECIPE: FRUIT SALAD WITH SHRIMP
Customize your recipe by choosing from these groups:
Shrimp and fruit salad. Photo courtesy RA Sushi Restaurant.
Fruits: banana, clementine/tangerine/orange, grapes, guava, kiwi, lychee, mango, papaya, pineapple, star fruit (caramboli)
Spicy greens: baby arugula or watercress
Other vegetables: herbs, lettuces, red jalapeño, red bell pepper
Optional garnish(es): pepitas (pumpkin seeds), sunflower seeds, toasted coconut, trail mix
Dressing: Citrus vinaigrette, honey vinaigrette or EVOO and lime juice
RECIPE: CITRUS VINAIGRETTE
Ingredients For 1-1/3 Cups
1-1/2 cups fresh blood orange juice or half regular orange juice, half lime juice
1 shallot, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon orange zest from blood oranges
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt or sea salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. BRING the citrus juice to a boil in a medium saucepan. Lower the heat to a simmer and reduce to 1/3 cup.
2. COMBINE the reduced citrus juice, vinegar, shallot, thyme and zest in a medium bowl. Slowly drizzle the oil into the mixture while whisking until the emulsion is combined and thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until needed.
RECIPE: HONEY-LIME VINAIGRETTE
Ingredients For 1-1/3 Cups
1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
1/8 cup honey
3/4 cup olive oil
Seasonings: salt, pepper or cayenne pepper
1. COMBINE the lime juice and honey in a blender and mix. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil.
2. SEASON as desired.
Watermelon Margaritas. Photo courtesy National Watermelon Promotion Board.
RECIPE: WATERMELON MARGARITA
Ingredients For 2 Large Cocktails
2 cups (16 ounces) cubed, seeded watermelon
6 ounces tequila
3 ounces triple sec or other orange liqueur (Cointreau, GranGala, Grand Marnier, etc.)
Juice of 1/2 lime
Kosher salt or coarse sea salt for the glass rims
Optional garnish: watermelon spear, lime wheel or both
1. PURÉE the watermelon in a blender. Add the tequila, triple sec and the juice of 1/2 lime.
2. PLACE the salt on a plate. DIP the rims of the glasses into 1/4 inch of water in a shallow bowl, then twist the into the salt. Add ice, pour in the drink and serve.
FOR TWO FROZEN MARGARITAS
1. PURÉE 1-1/2 cups cubed, seeded watermelon in a blender.
2. ADD 1 cup tequila, 1/2 cup orange liqueur and 1/2 cup fresh lime juice , plus 3 cups of ice. Blend until desired consistency is reached.