*Green & Black’s and Lindt are two brands of mint chocolate bar available at many supermarkets.
1. MAKE the crust. Stir together the wafer crumbs, sugar and butter in a bowl to combine. Pat the mixture onto the bottom and up the side of a buttered 9-inch pie plate. Bake the crust in the middle of a preheated 450°F oven for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. MAKE the filling. In a heat-proof bowl or the top half of a double boiler, sprinkle the gelatin over 1/3 cup of the cream; let it soften for 5 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, crème de menthe, crème de cacao and egg yolks. Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture registers 160°F on a candy thermometer.
3. REMOVE the bowl to a larger bowl of ice and cold water. Stir the mixture until it is cooled and thickened.
4. BEAT the remaining 1 cup cream in a separate bowl until it holds stiff peaks. Fold it into the crème de menthe mixture thoroughly.
5. POUR the filling into the crust and chill the pie for 4 hours, or until set. Sprinkle the pie with the grated chocolate.
RECIPE: ICE CREAM GRASSHOPPER PIE
This version is even easier, using store-bought mint chocolate chip ice cream (photo above left). It’s a kid-friendly recipe without the liqueurs; but feel free to add 1/8 cup of crème de menthe to the softened ice cream.
4 cups mint chocolate chip ice cream, softened
1 chocolate crumb crust (8 inches—store-bought or made with the recipe above)
5 Oreo cookies, chopped
1/3 cup chocolate-covered peppermint candies (e.g. Junior Mints)
Chocolate hard-shell ice cream topping
1. SPREAD the ice cream into the pie crust. Sprinkle with the cookies and candies.
2. DRIZZLE with the ice cream topping and freeze until firm. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before serving.