This serving bowl can be eaten when it’s empty. Photo courtesy Popcorn.org.
If you’re planning a quiet New Year’s Eve at home, need something to bring to a party or are thinking ahead to the Super Bowl, have fun with this idea from The Popcorn Board.
The bowl is made from popcorn, which you then fill with more popcorn—or be contrarian and fill it with chips or pretzels.
You can use different food coloring for different holidays, themes or teams.
RECIPE: EDIBLE POPCORN PARTY BOWL
1. SPRAY the inside of a large stainless steel bowl with cooking spray and similarly spray the outside of a second large stainless steel bowl; set aside. These 2 bowls will be used to form popcorn bowl at end of cooking time. (Note: If one bowl is smaller than the other, spray the outside of the smaller bowl.)
2. SPRAY the inside of a third large bowl with cooking spray and place popped popcorn inside; set aside.
3. STIR sugar, water, corn syrup, vinegar and salt together in a medium sauce pan. Bring mixture to a boil, cover, and boil for 3 minutes to allow steam to wash down sides of pan.
4. REMOVE pot lid and attach candy thermometer to pan. Allow mixture to boil, without stirring, until mixture reaches 290°F. Stir in food color, if desired. Working quickly, pour syrup over popcorn and toss with a large spoon until popcorn is thoroughly coated.
5. POUR popcorn mixture into first prepared bowl and use a spoon to push mixture evenly up onto sides of bowl. Firmly press the second prepared bowl onto popcorn to form popcorn bowl. Allow popcorn bowl to cool completely between stainless steel bowls.
6. SERVE: Tip popcorn bowl out and place on platter. Fill with popcorn or other snacks to serve.
Find more popcorn recipes at Popcorn.org.