August 20th is National Lemonade Day. When life gives you a lemonade holiday, make frozen lemonade!
We were inspired by the photo from Earl of Sandwich to make our own frozen lemonade.
The ingredients are simple, but you need an ice cream machine to make a frozen slurry, as if you were making lemon sorbet. So pull out the ice cream maker, or borrow one from your neighbor.
RECIPE: FROZEN LEMONADE
Frozen lemonade. Photo courtesy Earl of Sandwich.
1. COMBINE the water and sugar in a small saucepan. Warm water will help the sugar to dissolve. Or, pulse regular sugar in the food processor to create easy-dissolving superfine sugar.
2. ADD the lemon juice and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. FREEZE the mixture in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s directions, until it reaches a slushy consistency.
4. POUR into a glass; stir in a tablespoon to a shot of optional spirit.
5. GARNISH and serve with a straw and a spoon.