August 10 is National S’mores Day, so here’s one more recipe on top of yesterday’s s’mores suggestions. This recipe is courtesy of Christina Ferrare, co-host of “Home & Family” on the Hallmark Channel.
RECIPE: S’MORE COOKIE BARS
Instead of a campfire, turn on the oven to bake these s’more cookie bars. Photo © 2013 Crown Media/Alexx Henry Studios, Jeremy Lee.
1. PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
2. CREAM together butter and sugar in a large bowl, until light. Beat in egg and vanilla.
3. WHISK together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Add to butter mixture and mix at a low speed until combined.
4. DIVIDE dough in half and press half of dough into an even layer on the bottom of the prepared pan. Place chocolate bars over dough. Two five- ounce Hershey’s bars should fit perfectly side by side, but break the chocolate (if necessary) to get it to fit in a single layer no more than 1/4 inch thick. Spread Marshmallow Fluff evenly over the chocolate layer.
5. PLACE remaining dough in a single layer on top of the Fluff. This is most easily done by putting the second half of the dough in a gallon size freezer bag. Use your palms or a rolling pin to flatten it out, and then use scissors to cut down both long sides of the bag, so it will open up book-style. Open the bag carefully, and the dough will stick on one side of the bag. Then place the bag, dough side down, on the other three layers. From there peel the bag up and spread the dough where it is uneven.
6. BAKE for 30 to 35 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
Comments are closed.