1. CUT tomatoes in half. SEASON with salt and place cut side down on a rack or paper towel. Drain for about 30 minutes; blot dry with a paper towel.
2. PREHEAT broiler to medium high, with rack positioned in the upper part. Line a broiler pan with foil.
3. COMBINE the bread crumbs, cheese, herbs, garlic and olive oil in a small bowl. Grind fresh pepper to taste.
4. PLACE the tomatoes cut side up in the baking pan. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over the tomatoes (cut side). Place tomatoes under the broiler for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
5. OPTION: Top with the second cheese and broil until cheese is melted, about 1 minute. Garnish with additional herbs; serve immediately.
QUICK, LOW-CALORIE METHOD
1. PLACE cut tomatoes seed side up in dish or pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. DRIZZLE with olive oil; sprinkle with herbs. Broil until hot and the tops begin to brown.
If you have leftovers, enjoy them reheated or cold.