Potato smashers—tasty and fun to smash. Photo
The name “smashed potatoes” has already been claimed for roughly mashed potatoes with the skins on. So this recipe is called Potato Smashers.
We love smashing the potatoes (or the kids will enjoy doing it for you). And the prep time is just 5 minutes, cook time 30 minutes.
RECIPE: POTATO SMASHERS
Ingredients For 8 Servings
*You can use conventional bell peppers, but the minis save slicing time.
1. PLACE whole potatoes into a microwave-safe covered dish. Do NOT puncture for steam escape. Microwave on HIGH for 3 to 4 minutes.
2. CUT peppers into small (1/4-inch) slices. Spray a nonstick pan with cooking spray and heat to medium. Add peppers and sauté until they start to brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. REMOVE potatoes from microwave and, using a layer of paper towels to cover the potatoes, smash them on a cutting board until 1-3/4-inch thick. You can use the side of a coffee cup or a flat cooking utensil to smash the potatoes.
4. SPRAY sauté pan with cooking spray; heat on high and add smashed potatoes. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until potatoes start to brown.
5. PLACE potatoes on a plate and layer with sour cream or yogurt, peppers and cilantro. Dust with salt, chili powder and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
Comments are closed.