*Avoid cooking with extra virgin olive oil: It has a low smoke point. Use regular oil, labeled simply “olive oil,” for cooking.
1. HEAT the olive oil in a pan very quickly, over a medium fire.
2. SAUTÉ the shallots until completely caramelized. Add the cherry tomatoes, olives, capers and tomato sauce, plus salt and pepper to taste. Reduce for 5 minutes.
3. RUB the swordfish steaks on both sides with olive oil and season them with salt and pepper to taste. Sear the fish in a frying pan.
4. PLACE the fish in an oven pan (or use the frying pan if it is oven-safe) and cover with half of the sauce. Bake in the oven at 425°F for 10-15 minutes, until the fish is done and flaky.
5. TOP with remaining sauce and basil and enjoy!
See Chef Viviani in action on the television program “Home & Family,” on the Hallmark Channel.
Find more of our favorite fish recipes.