No-fat, no-gluten meringues are a light
Meringues are a light dessert that go well with coffee, tea or a scoop of ice cream. They’re dairy-free, fat-free and gluten-free. They’re a treat for your guests or a a delightful gift for your holiday hosts.
Lauryn Cohen of BellaBaker.com shows how to turn the pallid white meringue into a holiday meringue bursting with red and green accents.
CHRISTMAS MERINGUES: RED, GREEN & WHITE
1. PREHEAT oven to 200°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. ADD the egg whites, sugar and vanilla in the metal bowl of a stand mixer add. Place over a medium saucepan of simmering water. Stir until the sugar melts and the mixture is almost clear.
3. PLACE the bowl into the stand mixer and, using the whisk attachment, whip for 8 minutes on medium-high. The meringue should be glossy and stiff.
4. BRUSH a line of red food coloring onto the inside of the piping bag, using either a small paint brush or a lollipop stick. Repeat with the green on the opposite side of the bag. Fill with the meringue and pipe into roses or star dollops onto your baking sheets.
5. PLACE in the oven and bake for 1 hour 45 minutes. Remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
Related Food Videos: For more food videos, check out The Nibble's Food Video Collection.