THE NIBBLE BLOG: Products, Recipes & Trends In Specialty FoodsAlso visit our main website, TheNibble.com.
A guacamole BLT transformed into crostini hors d’oeuvre. Photo courtesy California Avocado Commission.
What’s better than a BLT?
Well, there’s a turkey BLT and our favorite, the chicken salad BLT.
And then there’s the guacamole BLT. Guacamole can be added to any of the above; or turn the concept into bite-size crostini—BLT appetizers. Microsprouts stand in for the lettuce; or you can substitute arugula, watercress or other flat lettuce.
This recipe was developed by Deborah Branby, chef/owner of The Cheese Board in Reno, Nevada, and provided to us by the California Avocado Commission.
We’re serving it on New Year’s Eve.
24 baguette croutons (recipe below)
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, fresh
4 slices crisp cooked bacon, cut into thin strips
1 cup micro sprouts, micro greens, arugula or cress
Roasted cherry tomatoes (recipe below)
1/4 cup basil pesto, thin consistency
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados, adjust the quantity accordingly.
BAGUETTE CROUTONS RECIPE
24 thin slices of a 2″ diameter baguette
Melted butter, as needed
Yield: 24 slices
1. Brush one side of the baguette slices with melted butter.
2. Bake at 375 degrees F until lightly toasted, about 15 minutes. Cool.
ROASTED CHERRY TOMATOES RECIPE
2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Slice tomatoes in half and toss with olive oil.
2. Roast at 400 degrees F until lightly browned, about 15 – 20 minutes. Cool.
LEMON AÏOLI RECIPE
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lemon juice, fresh
Yield: 1/2 cup
1. Mix together mayonnaise and fresh lemon juice.
1. Coarsely mash the avocado and mix it with the fresh lemon juice.
2. Top each crouton with 1 tablespoon of the mashed avocado mixture.
3. Top with 2 thin strips of bacon, micro sprouts, lemon aioli and roasted cherry tomatoes.
4. Drizzle with pesto. Serve immediately.
© Copyright 2005-2016 Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. All images are copyrighted to their respective owners.