THE NIBBLE BLOG: Products, Recipes & Trends In Specialty FoodsAlso visit our main website, TheNibble.com.
Here’s a treat that you can make in any theme colors—just as long as the colors are available as flavored gelatins.
For a red, white and blue display, use JELL-O Berry Blue plus any of the red flavors (there are seven, from Raspberry to Watermelon). You can use standard, pale yellow corn as your white layer, or look for white corn kernels to pop. The colored layers are sweet; the plain popcorn can provide a salty counterpoint.
Layer the colored popcorn in a clear bowl, or fill individual bowls.
Yield: about 16 cups
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Ingredients Per Color
12 cups popped popcorn
Color popcorn for any occasion—from fall colors above to red, white and blue. Photo
and recipe courtesy Eagle Brand.
1 can (14 ounces) Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 package (3 ounces) flavored gelatin
1. Heat oven to 300ºF. Line a large shallow roasting pan with heavy foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter foil.
2. Remove all unpopped popcorn. Pour popcorn into prepared pan. Keep warm in oven.
3. Combine sweetened condensed milk and dry gelatin in medium saucepan. Heat and stir over low heat until mixture is slightly thickened and bubbly, 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Pour mixture over popcorn. Stir gently to coat using a long-handled wooden spoon.
5. Bake 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Carefully turn out onto another large piece of lightly buttered foil. Cool. Break into pieces or clusters.
6. Repeat process to create the second layer of colored popcorn.
7. Layer blue, white and red popcorn in a clear bowl.
More flavored popcorn recipes.
For gourmet popcorn gifts, we love 479° Popcorn, in flavors such as Black Truffle + White Cheddar, Chipotle Caramel + Almonds, Fleur de Sel Caramel, Ginger Sesame Caramel, Madras Curry Coconut + Cashews and more.
© Copyright 2005-2016 Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. All images are copyrighted to their respective owners.