Here’s an easy idea to perk up salads: warm the vinaigrette salad dressing.
Warm salad dressing works any time of year. Just microwave the dressing for 5 to 10 seconds or so (test to see what works best with your microwave—you want warm, not hot). Then add the warm dressing to the salad and toss right before serving.
The classic warm dressing salad is a spinach salad with onions, mushrooms, bacon, hard-boiled egg slices and a warm bacon vinaigrette made from the bacon fat (recipe below). You can also add crumbled or cubed feta and/or croutons.
But the concept works with any salad. Last night we had a salad of baby greens, sliced sweet onion, goat cheese and croutons, tossed with a warm balsamic vinaigrette.
For A Bacon Vinaigrette
1. COOK 8 pieces of thick-sliced bacon (to crumble in the salad).
Try warming your salad dressing before
2. POUR bacon fat into a small saucepan. Whisk in tablespoons 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard.
3. ADD salt and pepper to taste.
4. MICROWAVE for 5 to 10 seconds immediately prior to tossing and serving the salad.
For A Standard Warm Vinaigrette
1. SUBSTITUTE salad oil for bacon fat.
2. USE your vinegar of choice—wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar.
3. FOLLOW the remaining steps above.
Find more of our favorite salad recipes.
Related Food Videos: For more food videos, check out The Nibble's Food Video Collection.