THE NIBBLE BLOG: Products, Recipes & Trends In Specialty FoodsAlso visit our main website, TheNibble.com.
Related Food Videos:
Our two-pound loaf disappeared in a week.
Photo courtesy Tillamook Cheese.
April is National Grilled Cheese Month (Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day was April 12th).
Here’s a wonderful everyday cheese to head up the celebration: Tillamook’s Monterey Jack cheese, voted America’s Best Monterey Jack Cheese at the 2011 United States Champion Cheese Contest. (The company’s Colby Jack–a blend of two cheeses–was also a winner, taking Best In Class honors.)
This Monterey Jack’s fresh, buttery flavor and creamy texture are spot-on. Its meltability gives it the versatility to work with just about anything – it’s a Jack of all trades in the kitchen. Here are 25 suggestions from Tillamook and THE NIBBLE:
Ideas With Shredded Monterey Jack
1. Wrapped with potatoes and eggs in a breakfast burrito.
2. Mashed into potatoes with butter.
3. Melted in an omelet with vegetables.
4. Stuffed into grilled peppers.
5. Paired with sausage and mushrooms in a breakfast strata.
6. Mixed into salads—try grilled chicken, green chile, avocado, tomato and romaine, with a side of tortilla chips.
7. Mixed into mac and cheese, by itself or in combination, like in this three-cheese recipe.
8. Made into cheese soup.
9. Sprinkled atop tortilla soup, or used as a garnish for other soups (try corn chowder with shredded Monterey Jack and crumbled bacon).
10. Baked atop enchiladas; in fajitas, tacos and other Tex-Mex favorites.
11. Rolled into meatballs.
12. Grated onto garlic fries.
13. Sprinkled onto roasted vegetables.
14. Melted into cheese fondue.
15. In a baked potato.
16. On a pizza (try a Buffalo Chicken pizza, blended with crumbled blue cheese—here’s the recipe).
17. In a manicotti recipe with salsa (try this chipotle manicotti).
Ideas With Sliced Monterey Jack
18. Layered on a ham or turkey sandwich, or any favorite sandwich.
19. Grilled between sliced bread for a superior grilled cheese sandwich.
20. Fried on an egg sandwich.
21. Broiled on bread with a slice of roast beef.
22. As a snack right out of the package.
23. As a general garnish.
24. On a cheese board.
25. With a glass of white wine.
Don’t think that a two-pound loaf is too much. Between recipes and snacking, it might last a week. Other sizes are available, including 8-ounce chunks, 12-ounce slices, and 1- and 2.5-pound loaves.
If you don’t know Jack, read the history of Monterey Jack cheese.
Find more of our favorite cheeses and recipes in our Gourmet Cheese Section.
Tillamook County Creamery Association is a cooperative of 220 farming families, known for its award-winning Cheddar and other dairy products. Learn more about Tillamook at Tillamook.com.
For more food videos, check out The Nibble's Food Video Collection
© Copyright 2005-2016 Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. All images are copyrighted to their respective owners.