THE NIBBLE BLOG: Products, Recipes & Trends In Specialty FoodsAlso visit our main website, TheNibble.com.
Related Food Videos:
|You’re cutting down on calories. Trying to eat healthier.
To many of us, this means a lot of grilled, poached or roasted fish and white meat chicken without the skin. And it can look boring, night after night.
But it’s easy to make everyday diet food look glamorous.
- Place your protein atop a bed of vegetables or whole grain. Cabbage, spinach and Swiss chard land watercress are examples of vegetables that lie flat. If the veg is prominently three-dimensional (broccoli, brussels sprouts, carrots or cauliflower, for example), use a food processor to pulse it into a chunky purée.
- Alternate the cut of the vegetables. One day prepare them chunky-sliced, one day thin-sliced, one day a large dice, one day a small dice. Chunky slices can be speared onto skewers for some food-on-a-stick excitement.
- Rim the plate with vegetables. Use small broccoli or cauliflower florets, halved cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, carrot slices or other small-size vegetable cuts to create a decorative, edible border.
The most “diet” foods can be presented
beautifully. Photo courtesy Whole Foods Market.
- Vary your low-calorie condiments. Mustard, salsa and savory chutney are examples. Enjoy them straight, or mix with fat-free yogurt to make a low-calorie sauce.
- Snip fresh herbs over the plate. Chives, cilantro, dill, parsley and other favorites not only look great, they pick up the flavor of everything on the plate.
- If you typically use salt, sprinkle the plate with sea salt. The varying colors and textures that are available make a beautiful garnish while supplying salty flavor.
- Include a citrus wedge. It adds color and shape variety on the plate. And a squeeze of citrus juice makes almost anything taste more lively—and adds valuable vitamin C antioxidants.
- Use a peppermill. Don’t buy bulk peppercorns at club stores; they’re usually not as favorful. Instead, treat yourself to the best peppercorns you can find.
And check out our Garnish Glamour suggestions. Soon, you’ll be a glam-food expert.
For more food videos, check out The Nibble's Food Video Collection
© Copyright 2005-2016 Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. All images are copyrighted to their respective owners.