1. Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Lightly butter pie pan. Stir together all ingredients in a bowl and press evenly on bottom and up side of pie pan.
3. Bake until crisp, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on a rack to room temperature.
– 2 pints pumpkin frozen yogurt (you can order Sweet Scoops online) or your favorite pumpkin ice cream, softened until spreadable
– 2 pints peppermint ice cream
1. Spoon softened frozen yogurt/ice cream evenly into pie shell. Place in freezer while preparing topping.
Topping Ingredients For Pumpkin Pie
– 1 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped
– 1 cup English toffee bits (such as Skor)
– Mix together walnuts and toffee bits. Sprinkle liberally and evenly on top of pie.
– Press slightly into frozen yogurt or ice cream to adhere. Return pie to freezer while preparing glaze.
Topping Ingredients For Peppermint Pie
– 1 cup crushed candy cane
– 1 cup mini chocolate chips
– Mix together candy cane and chocolate chips. Sprinkle liberally and evenly on top of pie.
– Press slightly into ice cream to adhere. Return pie to freezer while preparing glaze.
Bitter Chocolate Glaze Ingredients (For Either Pie)
– 2 ounces (2 squares) unsweetened chocolate
– 2 tablespoons butter
1. Melt the chocolate and butter in a small bowl over hot water on moderate heat (do not let the bottom of the bowl touch the water), stirring until completely smooth.
2. With a spoon, drizzle spoonfuls of the glaze over the pie in a zigzag pattern.
3. Return pie to freezer for a half hour before serving, or until glaze starts to look dull.
Be prepared to accept compliments!