|Winter is citrus season. Grapefruit and oranges make delicious and healthy salads, and red grapefruit adds to the drama of the presentation. There’s a reduced-calorie dressing and a healthy garnish of pomegranate seeds, pumpkinseed kernels and cilantro.
The Rio Star grapefruit is a very red, sweet variety that is 10 times redder than the original Ruby Red. It has an overall blush on the exterior peel as well as a deep red interior color. This specialty grapefruit is grown exclusively in the southernmost tip of Texas—the Rio Grande Valley. Texas citrus is tree-ripened and handpicked throughout the season.
Makes about 6 one-cup servings.
|– 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce, rinsed, drained and patted dry
– 4 oranges (sectioned, reserving juice)
– 1 Rio Star Grapefruit (sectioned, reserving juice)
– 3 cups peeled and cubed jicama (about 1 pound)
– 3/4 cup slivered red radishes (1 bunch, about 10 to 12 radishes)
– 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
– 1 cup pomegranate seeds
1. Place lettuce in a large serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
For Dressing & Assembly
1. In a small bowl, combine lime peel, lime juice, yogurt, mayonnaise, honey, pepper and salt. Stir until smooth. Set aside.
1. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds, pumpkinseed kernels and cilantro.
– Read illustrated instructions on how to section a grapefruit.
Related Food Videos: For more food videos, check out The Nibble's Food Video Collection.